Cardozo Journal of International and Comparative Law
From Copyright Experiences
CARDOZO JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW
BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO SCHOOL OF LAW
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10003
The following constitutes the agreement between Yeshiva University for the Cardozo Journal of International and Comparative Law (the “Journal”) and --- (the “Author”) concerning the publication of --- (the “Work”) in the Journal.
1. The Author warrants and represents that:
a. The Author is the sole author of the Work and has the full power and authority to grant the rights granted hereunder.
b. The Work does not infringe any copyright or property right of another person or entity.
c. The Work does not contain any matter that is defamatory, that violates another’s civil rights or right of privacy, or that is otherwise unlawful.
2. The Author conveys to the Journal for a period of one (1) year following publication of the Work in the Journal exclusive rights to edit, reprint, reproduce, and distribute the Work, including the right to reproduce and distribute the Work in any form now known or hereinafter devised including without limitation, facsimile reprints or microforms, electronic media, computerized retrieval systems, third-party online legal information providers, Internet or Intranet media, and similar forms, and as a contribution to a collection published by the Journal, and also including the right to license or transfer these rights to others; after such one year period, the Journal’s rights shall become non-exclusive; provided that nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to prohibit the Author, at the Author’s discretion, from reproducing and distributing the Work to students at or below cost for classroom use, or from including the Work in a book authored or edited by the Author of by the Author in conjunction with other parties.
3. If the Journal is approached by another publisher (the “Publisher”) seeking permission to publish the Work in any form other than those authorized in Paragraph Two (2) above, the Journal shall have the non-exclusive right to grant such permission to the Publisher, provided that such permission shall require the Publisher to print the legal required by Paragraph Four (4) below.
4. Any reproduction or republication of the Work other than the a photocopied duplicate of an original printed copy must bear the legend that the Work first appeared in the Journal, using a method of citation similar to the form set out immediately below, or whatever form of citation is commonly used at the time:
This article originally appeared in __ Cardozo J. Int’l. & Comp. L. __ ( ____ ).
Where the first dashes indicate the volume number, the second dashes indicate the page on which the Work begins, and the final dashes indicate the year of publication.
5. The Author grants all of the foregoing rights irrevocably and free of royalty or other participatory claim.
6. If any claim is asserted against, money judgment is rendered against or settlement payment secured from the Journal resulting from the Author’s breach of this Agreement or of the warranties or representations made by the Author herein, then the Author shall indemnify and hold harmless the Journal therefore, as well as for the costs and expenses reasonably incurred in such defense.
7. The Journal shall have power and authority, at its discretion, to initiate legal proceedings against persons believed to be infringing the exclusive rights granted by the Author to the Journal. The Author agrees to cooperate reasonably in the institution and maintenance of any such proceedings. Any damages recovered shall be applied first toward the Journal’s reasonable costs and expenses of the proceedings, with the balance to be divided equally between the Author and the Journal.
8. If the Work reproduces any textual or graphic material that is property of another, the Author shall, if requested by the Journal, obtain written consent to such reproduction.
Author: __________________________________ Date: __________________________
For the Cardozo Journal
Of International and
__________________________________ Date: ___________________
Yelina Kvurt Managing Editor