Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal
From Copyright Experiences
CONNECTICUT PUBLIC INTEREST LAW JOURNAL AUTHOR AGREEMENT 2006 The following is an agreement between ________________________________, hereinafter referred to as the Author, and the Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal, hereinafter referred to as the Journal, and governs ______________________________________________________________________________ (title of work, which includes an article, essay, comment, book review, or other writing or graphic work created by the Author), hereinafter referred to as the Work. 1. Author’s Grant of Rights a. Except as provided in Paragraphs 1(c) and 2(b), the Author grants to the Journal the rights to reproduce and distribute the Work in the Journal, in facsimile reprints or microforms, as a contribution to a collection published by the Journal, and by means of an Internet or Intranet site over which the Journal exercises effective control, and also by means of a third-party online legal information provider, such as, but not limited to, LEXIS-NEXIS, Westlaw, HEIN Online, the NELLCO Scholarship Repository, the Washington & Lee Law School Journal Database, and the Journal’s official website. b. The Journal’s rights provided in Paragraph 1(a) shall be exclusive for a period beginning when this Agreement is executed and ending two (2) years after publication of the Work in the Journal or two (2) years after execution of this Agreement, whichever is shorter, and shall be nonexclusive thereafter. c. The Journal’s right to reproduce the Work includes the right to prepare a translation in any language or to authorize the preparation of such a translation, but such right is subject to the Author’s approval of the translator, which is not to be unreasonably withheld. d. After the Work has been published in the Journal, the Journal shall have the right to authorize another party to reproduce and distribute the Work in the forms specified in Paragraph 1(a). e. The Author grants the above rights without claim of royalties or other compensation.
2. Author’s Ownership of Copyright and Reservation of Rights a. The copyright in the Work shall remain with the Author. b. The Author retains the rights: i. To reproduce and distribute the Work, and to authorize others to reproduce and distribute the Work, in any format, to students for classroom use, at or below cost; ii. To include the Work, in whole or part, in another work of which the Author is the sole or joint author or editor, provided that in either circumstance the Author may not submit a work for publication that is substantially the same as the Work to another periodical without the permission of the Journal sooner than two (2) years after publication of the Work or two (2) years after execution of this Agreement, whichever is sooner, and provided further that such Work identifies the Author, the Journal, the volume, the number of the first page, and the year of the Work’s publication in the Journal. iii. To post the Work, in whole or in part, on an Internet or Intranet site over which the Author has effective control provided that such Work identifies the Author, the Journal, the volume, the number of the first page, and the year of the Work’s publication in the Journal.
3. Publication by Others The Journal shall have the right to authorize another party to reproduce and distribute the Work in a form other than those specified in Paragraph 1(a), provided that such reproduction identifies the Author, the Journal, the volume, the number of the first page, and the year of the Work’s publication in the Journal, and provided further that the Author has been notified by the Journal of its intent to authorize such reproduction and distribution not less that thirty (30) days prior to the grant of such authorization and the Author has not within thirty (30) days after being notified given the Journal written notice of the Author’s objection to such reproduction and distribution.
4. Author’s Warranties and Undertakings a. The Author warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge: i. The Author is the sole (joint) author of the Work and has the power to convey the rights granted in this Agreement; ii. The Work has not previously been published, in whole or in part, except as follows: __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ iii. The Work does not infringe the copyright or property right of another; and iv. The Work does not contain matter that is defamatory, violates another’s civil right, right of privacy, right of publicity, or other legal right, or is otherwise unlawful. b. If the Work reproduces any textual or graphic material that is the property of another for which permission is required, the Author shall, if requested by the Journal, obtain written consent to such reproduction.
5. Litigation a. If a claim is asserted against the Journal as a result of the Author’s alleged breach of this Agreement or the warranties herein, the Author shall be promptly notified. The Author shall have the right to participate in the Journal’s response to and defenses against such claim, and the Journal shall not settle such claim without the Author’s approval. If a settlement requires the Journal to make a money payment, or a money judgment is rendered against the Journal, the author shall reimburse the Journal for the amount of such payment or judgment, and shall pay the cost and expenses reasonably incurred by the Journal in defending against the claim. b. The Journal shall have the power, after giving notice to the Author, to initiate legal proceedings against persons or entities believed to be infringing the rights granted by the Author to the Journal. The Author agrees to cooperate reasonably in the institution and maintenance of such proceedings. Damages recovered in such proceedings shall be applied first toward the Journal’s reasonable costs and expenses incurred in the proceedings, and the balance shall be divided equally between the Author and the Journal.
6. Editing and Printing a. The Author authorizes the Journal to edit and revise the Work prior to publication in the Journal, but the Work shall not be published by the Journal unless it is acceptable in its final form to both the Author and the Journal. b. The Author agrees to conform all citations in the Work to the citation system defined in the most recent edition of The Harvard Law Review Association’s THE BLUEBOOK: A UNIFORM SYSTEM OF CITATION. c. The Author agrees that the prose of the Work shall conform to the most recent edition of THE CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE, published by The University of Chicago Press.
7. Final Agreement This Agreement constitutes the sole agreement between the Author and the Journal with respect to the publication and copyright of the Work. Any modifications of or additions to the terms of this Agreement shall be in writing.
Author’s Signature: __________________________________
Author’s Printed Name: __________________________________
Authorized Journal Representative’s Signature: ______________________________
Authorized Journal Representative’s Printed Name: _____Lauren McEnteggart