Ohio Northern University Law Review
From Copyright Experiences
OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW
1. Parties. This Agreement is between (“Author”), and Ohio Northern University Law Review of the Claude W. Pettit School of Law, Ohio Northern University (“Law Review”).
2. Grant a Right to Publish. The Author hereby grants the Law Review the right of first publication for the "Work" provisionally entitled: . Additionally, the Author grants the Law Review the right to edit, reformat, and disseminate the Work in any form, including printed form, electronically and in audiovisual formats and allow the Law Review to grant LEXIS, WESTLAW, and any other electronic database, a license to include the Work in that database (the "Rights"). Furthermore, these Rights shall extend to reproducing, revising and disseminating the Work as part of the collective work of the Law Review.
3. Author’s Right to Republish. The right of first publication shall not prohibit the Author from subsequently publishing the Work in other publications in accordance with the terms of this agreement. The Author agrees to include the following language in any subsequent publication of the Work: “This article was originally published in the Ohio Northern University Law Review” and include the proper citation to the article (e.g., 30 Ohio N.U.L. Rev. 141 (2004)).
4. Author's Warranties and Undertakings. The Author warrants that:
a. The Author is the sole author and owner of the Work, and the rights pertaining thereto or, if the Work is a product of joint ownership, that all owners of the Work have signed this document below. If the Author's employer owns the Work, the Author has obtained permission from the Author's employer to enter into this agreement.
b. The Law Review does not need the permission of any other party to exercise the Rights granted herein.
c. This Work does not contain any libelous or unlawful material.
d. The Work does not infringe upon the rights of others.
e. The Work and its contents are original to the Author.
f. If the Work contains significant excerpts from other copyrighted materials, written permission from the copyright owner(s) has been obtained, copies of such permission are attached to this document, and proper credit has been given in the paper.
5. Litigation. If a claim is asserted against the Law Review as a result of the Author's alleged breach of this Agreement or the warranties herein, the Author shall be promptly notified. The Author shall have the right to participate in the Law Review's response to and defenses against such claim, and the Law Review shall not settle such claim without the Author's approval. If a settlement requires the Law Review to make a money payment, or a money judgment is rendered against the Law Review, the Author shall reimburse the Law Review for the amount of such payment or judgment, and shall pay the cost and expenses reasonably incurred by the Law Review in defending against the claim. The Law Review shall have the power, after giving notice to the Author, to initiate legal proceedings against persons or entities believed to be infringing the rights granted by the Author to the Law Review. The Author agrees to cooperate reasonably in the institution and maintenance of such proceedings. Damages recovered in such proceedings shall be applied first toward the Law Review's reasonable costs and expenses incurred in the proceedings, and the balance shall be divided equally between the Author and the Law Review.
6. Editing and Printing. The Author authorizes the Law Review to edit and revise the Work prior to publication in the Law Review, but the Work shall not be published by the Law Review unless it is acceptable in its final form to both the Author and the Law Review. Promptly after publication, the Law Review shall give the Author, without charge, 50 offprint copies of the Work and, if requested by the Author, additional copies at a cost to be determined.
7. Final Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the sole agreement between the Author and the Law Review with respect to the publication and copyright of the Work. Any modifications of or additions to the terms of this Agreement shall be in writing.
Author _________________________ Date: ________________
Editor in Chief. ___________________ Date: _________________