George Mason Law Review
From Copyright Experiences
COPYRIGHT AGREEMENT The George Mason Law Review requests that you enter into the following agreement concerning your article entitled (ARTICLE NAME), which will be published in Volume __, Issue __ of the George Mason Law Review.
1. I, (AUTHOR NAME), grant, convey, and transfer all rights of ownership including copyright in the above-named article to the George Mason Law Review (the “Law Review”).
2. In consideration whereof, the Law Review grants me the following non-transferable rights:
a. To reproduce and distribute the above-named article, and to authorize others to reproduce and distribute the above-named article, in any format, to students for classroom use, at or below cost;
b. To include the above-named article, in whole or part, in another work of which I am the sole or joint author or editor, provided that in either circumstance I may not submit a work for publication that is substantially the same as the above-named article to another periodical without the permission of the Law Review and provided further that such work identifies the Author, the Law Review, the volume, the number of the first page, and the year of the above-named article’s publication in the Law Review.
c. To post the above-named article, in whole or part, on an Internet or Intranet site over which I have effective control provided that the Author, the Law Review, the volume, the number of the first page, and the year of the above-named article’s publication in the Law Review is identified.
3. I understand that the Law Review has full authority to reproduce and distribute the above-named article in the Law Review, in facsimile reprints and microforms, as a contribution to a collection published by the Law Review, and by means of an Internet or Intranet site over which the Law Review exercises effective control, and also by means of a third-party online legal information provider, such as, but not limited to, LEXIS-NEXIS and Westlaw.
4. I understand that after the above-named article has been published in the Law Review, the Law Review shall have the right to authorize another party to reproduce and distribute the above-named article in the forms specified in Paragraph 3.
5. I warrant that I, as the author of the above-named article:
a. Have full power and authority to enter into this agreement and to grant the rights set out in this agreement;
b. Have not previously published the above-named article in whole or in part;
c. Have not infringed the copyright or property right of another; and
d. Have not included in the above-named article matter that is defamatory, violates another’s civil right, right of privacy, right of publicity, or other legal right, or is otherwise unlawful.
6. I understand that if a claim is asserted against the Law Review as a result of my alleged breach of this Agreement or the warranties herein, the Law Review shall promptly notify me. I shall have the right to participate in the Law Review’s response to and defenses against such claim, and the Law Review shall not settle such claim without my approval. If a settlement requires the Law Review to make a money payment, or a money judgment is rendered against the Law Review, I shall indemnify the Law Review for the amount of such payment or judgment, and shall pay the cost and expenses reasonably incurred by the Law Review in defending against the claim.
7. I authorize the Law Review to edit and revise the above-named article prior to publication in the Law Review, but the above-named article shall not be published by the Law Review unless it is acceptable in its final form to both the Law Review and myself.
8. I have read the agreement and express my assent by signing below.
(AUTHOR NAME) Date