Yale Journal of International Law
From Copyright Experiences
Pasted below is the text of our contract. This contract is our default agreement with our authors, but we have also used different contracts with authors upon request.
We hope this is helpful.
Best, Patricia Moon Managing Editor for Development, YJIL V. 34
The Yale Journal of International Law (?Publisher?) and the above-referenced author (?Author?) hereby enter into the following agreement with respect to the above-referenced essay (?Essay?).
1. The Author hereby assigns the entire copyright in this Essay to Publisher. The copyright consists of any and all rights of whatever kind now or hereafter protected by the copyright laws of the United States and of all foreign countries, in all languages, and in all forms of communication, including electronic storage and retrieval systems. This copyright attaches as of the date of execution of this contract. Publisher, through itself or others, shall have the right to publish the Author?s work in all languages and in all forms of communication, including electronic storage and retrieval systems.
2. Publisher hereby grants to the Author a royalty-free license to publish the Essay in any book of which the Author is the author or editor, provided that any such publication gives proper acknowledgment to the Publisher. Such acknowledgment shall be a credit line reading:
Reprinted by permission of The Yale Journal of International Law, Volume 34, pp. _____(forthcoming Winter 2009).
3. The Author represents and warrants that the Essay is an original work, that it does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any way infringe the rights of any person. The Essay also does not infringe the copyright or property right of another.
4. The Essay has not previously been published, in whole or in part, except as follows: _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. The Author agrees to make a good faith effort to abide by default deadlines and to cooperate in the Publisher?s editorial process.
6. The Author agrees to remain available by both phone and e-mail during the course of the editorial process. If the Author will be unavailable by phone or e-mail for a period of five days or more, the Author agrees to notify the Publisher at least one week in advance.
7. The Author authorizes the Publisher to edit and revise the Essay prior to its publication, but the Essay shall not be published by the Publisher unless it is acceptable in its final form to both the Author and the Publisher.
8. The Author agrees that the Essay will amount to no more than XXXX words.
9. The Author agrees to supply the Publisher with all sources, either photocopied or in original form, that are cited in the Essay and are not available in the Yale University library system for use in the cite-checking process. Such sources and photocopies will be returned to Author within a reasonable period following the completion of the editorial process for the Essay.
10. The Author understands that all citations in the published version of the Essay will conform to standards established in The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (Columbia Law Review Ass?n et al. eds., 18th ed. 2005), as supplemented by Publisher?s own style guidelines.
11. The Author agrees to bear the costs for preparation of any illustrations, graphs, or other non-textual elements of the Essay. Publisher may agree to share these costs, but any such agreement must be executed in writing.
12. Authors will receive 25 complimentary copies of the published Essay. Author will be responsible for the full cost of any reprint requests beyond the complimentary set, including shipping costs and associated administration fees.
13. The rights granted in this agreement are irrevocable. The rights may be transferred or sublicensed by Publisher or exercised by its agents or employees.
14. The Author represents that Author has the power and authority to enter into this agreement.